The AR-XB rebuild using Brazilian Cherry is nearly complete, and would have been finished a week ago, but I discovered upon re-assembly that the motor was pretty much shot. The new motor came in the mail today so the AR will be officially completed this weekend! Below are a couple of quick snapshots showing how it turned out - professional photos to come as soon as I replace the motor, polish the edge of the platter, and add some feet.
|Tonearm from AR (made by Jelco) and a classic Shure M91 ED cartridge.|
|Acrylic platter mat by IsoKinetik of Great Britain. www.isokinetik.co.uk|
The maple slab turntable that was mentioned in the previous post has been officially shelved while I complete my first build of this:
|Top view and 3d view rendered in Photoshop. The final product will have a sorbothane|
dampening layer between the base and platter support along with a clear acrylic platter.
This is just an initial rendering. I am currently working on a Northwestern myrtle wood base piece, and the platter support and arm board will be made from a beautiful maple burl that I found. The maple will be revealed through the clear platter when the turntable is not in use.
|This myrtle wood makes a very solid, dense foundation for the turntable, and looks good at the same time.|